Have you decided to pack up your belongings and relocate to the city? If so, you’re going to love Miami. Otherwise known as “The Magic City,” this part of south Florida is home to more than 417,000 people. Drenched in sunshine throughout the year, this picturesque metro area is one of the most popular vacation destinations in the world.
There are many reasons why over 10 million tourists descend on Miami each year. Check out the following fun facts about Miami FL if you want to better understand the area:
- Julia Tuttle founded Miami in 1896, making it the first ever city to be founded by a woman. It began with a population of just 300.
- The world’s only Everglades eco-system is located in Miami, and it supports subtropical ecological communities.
- Pharmacist, Benjamin Green invented the very first suntan lotion in Miami in 1944, Coppertone Suntan Cream.
- The largest cruise ship port in the world can be found in Miami, making it the Cruise Capital of the World.
- Famous pirates like Blackbeard and Gasparilla visited Miami frequently to bury treasure.